FHNA September Board Meeting
Sept. 22, 2015
At meeting: Elaina Ouimet, Jessica Parilla, Brooke Doan, Mark Malkovsky and Nicole Fiber
Dog Poop Bag Removal from Greenspace
-the removal of full garbage bags from the greenspace has been managed by volunteers for the last several years (thank you to all of them!); since this can be a cumbersome chore we are looking into other solutions
-board is pricing a professional service for weekly removal and the addition of a second station
-Brooke Farley Doan volunteered to take over from Pat Hudson who has been emptying the bin for the past several months –thank you Pat and Brooke!
FHNA by-laws have not been updated since 2011 so the board has decided to revise them to better reflect the current neighborhood needs (i.e. communication is now primarily via facebook/listserve rather than printed newsletter)
- By-laws will be revised by section during each of the next monthly board meetings with a goal of finalizing by January 2016
Neighborhood-wide Meeting – October 19th at the Columbia Presbyterian Church
- Michael will manage the set-up of meeting, communication to neighborhood
- Will Michael be at the meeting to emcee (not sure due to his work schedule)?
- Oct. 19th Meeting Agenda DRAFT
- Treasurers Report
- Fall Events Overview
- East Decatur Greenway Update? (Elaina will check with Michele Ritan)
- Senior Center speaker??
- Conversation Around New Projects – ideas
- Forrest Hills Flags
- Elderly Neighbors in Need of Yard or Home Support
- Recruitment of New Board Members – we currently have six board members, goal of recruiting two more for a total of 8 board members -could we draft a board member job description to handout?
- Pumpkin Carving Contest – October 30th (Mark Coordinating)
- Halloween Decorating Contest – Michael will announce and coordinate
- Halloween Caravan – starts at Michael and Elise’s house on Wiltshire –is it possible to incorporate the senior center into the route? If too far, can we go down Forrest Blvd at Wiltshire or Chester and encourage senior residents to join us at one of those corners to see the kids?
- Michael can you create the route so we can add it to the printed flyer and distribute
- Flamingo Friday on October 16th (third Friday) at the home of Cathy Rouse on N. Carter Rd.
- Chili Cook-off – Mark coordinating; he will contact Kate to determine date to host at her house in November
Distribution of Info
- By 10/3, Brooke will price and purchase six brochure holders similar to the holders used to distribute info at a home that is for sale; we will use to distribute neighborhood flyers instead of dropping them off door-to-door
- By 10/5, Elaina will create flyer with all fall events to print and put into brochure holders and post online; flyer will include Halloween caravan route
-short discussion on insurance policy for the greenspace; our policy covers any injury so long as it’s not on a play structure so we cannot add any play structures without also adding an insurance rider to cover them
-recent assessment of greenspace furniture showed one broken plastic chair; Jessica volunteered to remove it
Agenda for Next Board Meeting on Monday October 12th
- Finalize agenda for neighborhood meeting on October 19th and assign roles
- Fall Event Planning
- Begin By-law Revision sections I. – V. with goal of completing revision by January 2016
Board Meetings – Monday is the best night for the majority of the group so we would like to keep that night
–Michael could you attend monthly?
FHNA Board Meeting Notes [2015 August 17]
[in attendance: Mark, Brooke, Jessica, Michael, and Nicole]
- Jessica will get a copy of the FHNA Board by-laws from Michelle Ritan ASAP to ascertain Board Members’ culpability for mishaps that happen in the neighborhood
- Will Michelle Ritan be at the next FH Neighborhood Meeting on October 19th?
- Nicole is meeting with new neighbors and connecting them to the neighborhood
- The next Flamingo Friday is slated for August 28th! We need to find a home for it!
- Board discussed shifting FHNA Board meetings to another night—Tuesdays or Wednesdays?
- There is a FH Neighborhood Meeting slated for October 19th; thus, we need to discuss an itinerary for it.
- There is a bunch of bamboo sticking out into the street on North Carter. Board needs to script a message to the neighborhood about “Neighborly Things To Do.”
- The FH Neighborhood has about $7,000 in its coffers; thus, what do we do with the money: – electrical in Greenspace of Walter’s Woods? – contract tree-man John for tree removal in the neighborhood? – perform kudzu removal in the neighborhood?
- The FH Halloween Caravan is slated for October 31. What home[s] do we start and end the Caravan from. Both Nicole and Michael offered their homes. Michael and Elise have agreed to Host the beginning party for it, and will provide limited refreshments (juice boxes and water bottles and potato chips?
- Do we have a FH Pumkin Carving Contest, and display them in Walter’s Woods? Mark is on it, trying to plan out FH’s first Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest!
- We discussed security options for the FH neighborhood—having marked or unmarked cars patrolling the neighborhood, real or fake video cameras affixed to poles, flags for Forrest Hills neighborhood
Mark had/has the checks from the block party, need to get to Jess so we can compare revenue from block party to previous year.
-Block Party TOTAL = $1,360 -$300 more than last year! YAY!
-Jess paid a lot of bills: 6mo WW maintenance, entry gardens, Greenspace insurance and taxes.
-Added more dues, etc. and now have a balance of $6,500!
-Wondering about the bylaws surrounding gift giving (cash, gift card?)
Elaina, what is your time frame? Kate and Brooke can help!
-FHNA mtg info
Fall Events: Flamingo, Halloween caravan, route and contest, Chili Cook-Off, Holiday Progressive
-Directory/New Neighbor info
-First tutorial date
Have not heard much other than plans to discuss at neighborhood meeting. Has Michael heard anything from the group he attended.
-Mayor is coming to the Oct. 13th mtg.
-Need an annexation point of contact for the con- group
-planning on doing a Survey Monkey to feel out annexation.
-Michael is looking into this.
-Con- annexation group has a ? about pg. 73 regarding the “unincorporated island laws”. Michael did and will discuss with Josh.
-Stephen Smith is the point person for the pro- group.
Pro- and Con- leaders will attend next board mtg 10/6 to discuss next steps after FHNA mtg. Signatures?
-Josh will email Stephen Smith and Michael will check on Con- group leader.
Non connected neighbors:
Did we send this message out anywhere? I did not receive any emails about anyone.
-Kate will post and email a request to neighbors to give us info on those who are not connected via internet.
-Brooke and Kate will update them and Brooke will distribute.
-Mark and Brooke will be contact people!
-Kate will post and email about this as well.
Update ? Lots of requests. Once updated email out and print copies for those that ask for a printed copy.
-Jess will put a box on the website for neighbors to update. Also on the flyer!
-Kate will get most recently updated directory to Mark
-Mark and Brooke will be contact people!
-Jess has another directory that has dues info. We will keep those separated
-Elaina will organize. First one will be Jess with her massive knitting skills! Early October? Elaina and Jess will coordinate communication and implementation.
Meeting with them in the next week to discuss
-Josh will be meeting with Principal Kelbaugh and another board member next week.
-Carpool – no longer allowed to take a left onto Forrest after drop-off/pick-up
We have rules as to when people can be added, what about removing people who move? It feels rude but what if they no longer own/live there?
-Jess/Kate are messaging people wanting to join before approving.
-After directory is updated, Kate will go through and jot down who is on FB/GG
Fall Events Schedule:
Sep 19th – Still need a host ?
Oct 17th – Still need a host ?
-Kate will email/post about getting hosts
Friday 10/31 – Route Set Yet
-If Russell, route Russell-Walker_Wiltshire-Forrest
-If Jess/Kate N Carter-Forrest-Wiltshire-Walker
-Kate will email out options
-3 neighborhood judges and 1 out of state!
-Michael will decide and post judging specifics by 9/12
Prizes for Fall Events
-prizes will be gift cards (3 Taverns, Avondale Pizza, and one other)
-Josh will hit up Wild Haven and 3 Taverns for 2 sets of passes
-We asked Avondale
-Jess – Corner Pub
-Rachel – Leon’s ? Lawson at Java Monkey(Kate will ask)
-Nate World of Coke?
November 9th, Kate hosting.
-Fans if hot.
-Michael, Jess, Brooke
-Kate will check on criteria and make invite
-put info out by Oct. 1 and reiterate at meeting
-keg? –probably for $120. Josh will coordinate. Donation cup.
-Kate will ask Emma about visiting box
-Check on 1-3 place winners – free entries
December 6th, Jennifer Murkison to coordinate, need 3-4 hosts
Ask for hosts now. Kate will coordinate with Jennifer
Neighborhood meeting – October 13th:
Details & Agenda:
Need to get the meeting info out on FB/GG/WS – Jess by Oct. 1
FHNA Board Meeting 6/16
Attendees: Mark, Josh, Michael, Jessica, Elaina
> Neighborhood-wide Yard sale – five houses responded as interested, Jess will
see if anyone else wants to do it. Need at least ten to make it worthwhile.
> New Forrest Hills sign toppers have been put up. We were a couple short to
replace all of the faded signs but the new ones look great.
> Block party scheduled for August 2nd, with the 9th as a rain date. (Jess out
of town on the 9th, maybe the 2nd too – she will get back to us. Will Brooke
> -Jess will bring a kitty pool, and bubbles for kids, would Brooke Wilson or
Sara Speert be willing to provide water hose?
> -need trash cans for recycling and garbage -music – would Rachel and Lawson be
willing to play (Michael will check with them)
> -Josh will donate pork and grill, need hot dogs ad garden burgers for the kids
-’tip jar’ for donations to offset the cost of picnic tables
> Picnic Tables – Josh will pick up two picnic tables and drop off at Walter’s
Woods in the next month; Elaina will make sure they get stained.
> Annexation – we have been informed that a group of motivated residents has met
to get organized, research reasons why we would want to be annexed and will
coordinate collection of signatures door-to-door. Official notes from any groups
pro or against annexation can be posted on the website where a new blog page
will be created for residents to post information themselves.
> Neighborhood Cleanup – not a lot of turnout on the Memorial Day Weekend
Cleanup, brainstormed ways of getting more involvement. Can we target a small
space, can we get a small group of committed neighbors to do a regular cleanup
each month? Michael will identify a location and take a photo then post on
facebook with request for assistance with date and time, think ahout what makes
a neighborhood look attractive? Is it curb appeal, if so how can we help
neighbors in their individual yards, and how do we motivate people to take care
of the neighborhood?
> Poker Game Fundraiser – would like to have at least 8 or 9 people participate
in first one, Mark has a venue and is thinking through a date. Contact Mark if
you would like to play and/or help organize.
Meeting – 5/12/14
Location: Avondale Pizza Café
Board Members in Attendance: Brooke Doan, Michael Harbaugh, Josh McDowell, Elaina Ouimet, Kate Pawlicki
· FHNA hosted an April 14th neighborhood-wide meeting with solid turnout from the neighbors, Mark Malkovsky took detailed notes and distributed to the neighborhood via facebook, listserve and neighborhood website (http://forresthillsneighborhood.org/fhna/fhna-meeting-minutes)
· A committee of people who are pro-annexation would need to be formed to go door to door to solicit signatures to demonstrate that 60% of the neighborhood is in favor
· A committee opposed to annexation could also be formed to research and inform neighbors on their reasons for opposition
· In the interest of remaining neutral on the topic of annexation, the FHNA board will not organize the committees and these would need to be initiated by a motivated neighbor(s)
· For the signature method 60% of property owners (As listed on the deeds with the county tax office) must sign yes AND 60% of registered voters (As listed with the county’s election office) must sign yes. If those 60% of both are obtained then the petitions would be taken to the City of Avondale Estates for annexation which would likely be effective the following January 1st.
· The Mayor would take it to the city of Avondale Estates for approval
· Link to complete Annexation info: http://www.gmanet.com/Assets/PDF/Publications/annexation.pdf
· Museum School is working to improve traffic control during drop-off/pick-up and evening events
· school contact is working with board to communicate school events ahead of time and brainstorm ideas to improve parking/traffic issues
· school contact will be invited to the next neighborhood meeting
· Josh McDowell will post school event info to listserve and facebook
Walter’s Woods benches
· Chee Hill agreed to repair benches that can be repaired, some are beyond repair and will need to be removed from the space
· Board will buy one or two new picnic tables for the space ($89 each)
· Tree planted in honor of Jean Houseman last year looks fabulous -make sure you check it out!
Upcoming Flamingo Fridays
Flamingo Fridays are monthly neighborhood parties held on a Friday night. They are open to anyone in the neighborhood and guests bring their own beverages and a snack to share. You do not need to RSVP, just show up! Flamingo Friday dates and locations are posted on facebook and the listserve and the host house will have pink flamingoes in the yard.
· May 16 at Carolina Casares and Chee Hill’s House located at 983 Forrest Blvd
· June 20th at 1136 Forrest Blvd., hosted by Bob
Block Party Date
· Most schools are back in session by August 1 so we are looking at July dates for the block party
· Date options: July 19, 26 or August 2
· Kate willing to bring the trampoline and sell tickets for kids to jump ($1 per turn)
· Other fundraising or fun activities for kids (and adults) are welcome
· We need a volunteer to help coordinate –there is an existing google doc can be used for easy tracking of items. Please let Kate Pawlicki know if you’re willing to coordinate! You can email her at email@example.com
· Michael will put a call out to the neighborhood to do a cleanup at Craigie and Forrest Blvd and coordinate with Cathy Rouse for an upcoming Saturday morning
· Volunteers should plan to bring bags, shovels, rakes, wheel barrels, gloves, and for those who want to assist but can’t do so physically –snacks and drinks
Neighborhood Watch Signs
Five new neighborhood watch signs have been posted in the neighborhood
1. Forrest near the Museum School entrance
2. N. Carter @ Columbia
3. Russell @ Columbia
4. Wiltshire @ Forrest
5. Walker @ Columbia
As we head into the summer time when crime typically increases, please remain vigilant about reporting suspicious behavior to the police.
· Postage, envelopes for April mailing cost $200+
· Kate is working on a neighborhood directory to post on a private online group, it will be in a spreadsheet format
Meeting – 2/10/14
Present at the meeting : Elaina, Brooke, Mark, Ryan, Josh, Jessica and Stephen (possible new member)
- We are waiting for the next nice weather day to put up the security signs
- Ryan is leaving the board
- Will send out emails to the rest of the block captains for FHNA dues fundraising
-Will post all AE annexation material, including AE’s master plan and a forum for neighborhood discussion on FH website
- Representatives were identified who will be the board members that reach out to AE for information about the possible annexation
- Should we have a door to door poll about AE annexation or just do it online?
- For the spring neighborhood meeting, need to invite mayor (or other rep) of AE. Maybe also AE police representative?
-Brooke is now the welcome wagon and Jessica will forward all info over to her.
-We should have a neighborhood March madness bracket tourney. 10 bucks entry, 5 bucks goes to FH.
- Next meeting is march 10.